Friday, March 04, 2005

Darwinia, The Hard Slog

I have to say for the first few hours of gameplay I was more than just a little impressed with Darwinia. The fact that the game doesn't even have a main menu is very innovative. It just goes seamlessly from the intro into the game.

The problems with the game stem from the fact that you can't loose, meaning that to provide the player with a challenge many of the levels are just long stints of blowing stuff up. The story progresses well from level to level, but I have just lost interest after hitting the Yard level. Simply put, after a few upgrades the interface becomes awkward and there are so many enemies to kill that the gameplay looses pace.

I will probably play some more tomorrow, but right I just don't feel like playing monotonously destroying stuff.