Sunday, January 23, 2005

Random Thought (Games For Girls)

Last Christmas when I was choosing what films to Give My Mum For Christmas. I realised that girl films are very different to guy films. And it just occurred to me that this must go for games too.

I have almost identified what makes a good chick flick, but games are different because girls don't influence game design yet. So I could be onto something original here.

I have this book at home where I write down game concepts, story ideas, characters and stuff in, just banking ideas so they are there when I need them and since I have been doing this for a few years now I can see where my male attitude to gaming has taken me. So I am now wondering whether I could do something very insightful with my knowledge of chick films and apply what I do know to game concepts. Eventually thinking of something truly original.

Something that has been bugging me for ages now is that whenever somebody has asked me what i want to do with my life, I don't know what to say. There are places I want to go, things i want to do, but as far as life work goes I don't know. Most people change job direction three times within their lifetime, but one thing I would love to do, is make a computer game and I have been working towards that goal, but I also have a desire to start some kind of company. I know how hard it is to do, and I know the stress would be horrible, but it's one of those calling desires I have always had. A company to do what I don't know. A computer repair shop would be easy to make a success, but that would require me to micromanage the business until the day I died and I don't want to go down that road because it is the wrong kind of place to be. I am going down the road as a programmer and gaming guru, but looking at the state of the industry and looking at how crowded it is going to become, I don't know if that is where I want to be.