Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Euthanasia Roller Coaster

Euthanasia is an interesting subject, both the ethical side, and the mechanism. How would one kill themselves in a nice way?

Julijonas Urbonas at the Royal College of Art has created the Euthanasia Coaster. This is a Roller coaster where the rider is subjected to a negative ten gforce for one minute resulting in the brain being starved of oxygen and the death of the riders. I am not sure wither one minute is enough to kill someone, but I am sure Julijonas has done his research. The riders would experience a feeling of euphoria as their brains are starved of oxygen. And I think this is a very interesting art project. Roller coasters try to terrify riders with sirens and warning singes as they queue for a ride, but here we have one that I am sure most of us wouldn't want to take, but it's design is simple and elegant. And I am sure if it was built, it would be ridden.

Video Link