Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Cover Letters

I am currently writing a cover letter for a job application and using one of my Mum's old cover letters as a template. I don't normally read her stuff, but her body text is odd:
I believe that with all my skills and experience I have gained through self motivation and hard work over the years would benefit any Company that was continuously working towards improving standards, quality and Customer focus. I consider myself to be hard working, loyal and honest and relish working under pressure or to deadlines. I can work as part of a team or as an individual.
I have always been accused of writing too casually, but seriously this can't be what companies are looking for!

As it turns out she didn't get the job with this one, but it begs the question as to wither all her cover letters that she has been successful with, have also sounded like corporate press releases.