Sunday, October 01, 2006

Burning Down the House 2005 GDC Rant

I don't know why I haven't posted this yet, but there is a very good rant from last year's GDC over at GDC Radio.

The whole thing is a venting of the frustration developers where feeling and are largely still feeling with the games industry. Things have gotten better with the wider acceptance of digital distribution, but it is still upto developers to make change happen and for them to stop allowing themselves to be exploited by publishers.

The third speaker is Greg Costikyan. He has given me the best ringtone ever with his heart of a gamer quote and I recently bought his book even though it has probably cost me a days worth of food.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I only wanted to know what his book was about. The description I heard goes something like this: Some guy who is the CEO of a big technology has everything and things are going great with the company's new products, but then the worst thing in the world happens.. Aliens Make Contact! They start selling superior products to the world and this stock is worth nothing overnight. He looses everything and ends up on the streets. But there is hope, to get back that he has lost, he must create a product that he can sell back to the aliens!

After hearing that I had to buy it. It isn't still in print so I had to get it second hand, but I am looking forward to it.