Tuesday, April 26, 2005

A Theory of Fun

I have been reading A Theory of Fun by Raph Kostertoday and I was expecting more from a book that has so many industry supporters. It's just that so far he hasn't been insightful, but more that I don't agree with a lot of what he says.

For example he sees Tetris as a spacial awareness game, and I see it as shape matching. I can see where he would think of rotating a block to fit in a gap as spacial awareness, but this is not how most people simulate the game in their minds. Instead people see where the sape will fit, move it over the gap and hit the down key.

He says "There are no games that take just one turn", but I wonder about flipping a coin or even Rock Paper Scissors.

He says all games tech you something, but other than the two previous exsamples, he makes me wonder what jigsaws teach me. And wither or not I am getting my full educational value from them.

He even defines noise as "any pattern we don't understand", and he isn't even referring to visual patters specifically either, not after coming out of a musical example anyway.

He also seems very narrow in his definition of gaming by classing all games as mind exercising puzzles.

I really hope this book gets better.