Monday, February 07, 2005

D.I.C.E. Talks

D.I.C.E. is now over and GameSpy has a summery of two of this year's speakers.

Tim Schafer (Grim Fandango, Full Throttle)
Talked about how developers need to take more risks instead of leeching off of franchises and only sticking with safe games. And I think he has a very valid point, but he needs to tell this to the publishers, not the developers.

Stan Lee (The Comic Industry)
Talks about creating great new characters that players will love. He doesn't say a lot, but the fact he was there to emphasise characters is good because we haven't had any new strong new franchises for years.

Edit: Additional

Mark Ecko (Fashion Designer)
GameSpy have made a right mess of their coverage of D.I.C.E. so I missed this one earlier. Anyway he says that games need to be targeted towards an audience. And that developers should stop talking about code. I think he is a nutter, but the article reads positively about his talk.